The Power of Deep Breathing
Deep breathing is a powerful way to facilitate calm, focus, and relaxation.
* Sit down, put your hands on your lap, and close your eyes.
- If this posture is not possible, you can utilize any posture relevant to your situation.
* If nose breathing in and/or out is not possible, use your mouth in or out accordingly.
* Inhale, deeply & slowly, through your nose, as to fully fill your lungs/diaphragm with air.
- Inhale to the rhythm of a slow count: 1, 2, 3, 4.
- Pause for two seconds at the end of the inhale.
* Exhale deeply & slowly, through your nose, as to fully empty your diaphragm/lungs.
- Exhale to the rhythm of a slower count: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 (a bit longer than your inhale).
- Pause for three seconds (pause bit longer than your inhaled pause).
* Repeat the inhale-exhale process as long as needed/possible.
I recommend deep breathing as a daily habit. Take time during the morning, afternoon, and evening to practice. It works best if your body and brain acclimate to it as a lifestyle. Once you have the basics down, search the Internet or YouTube about other breathing techniques to expand the benefits!